General Summary: Sell and serve food and drinks in a professional manner. Enter orders correctly in the POS system and cash out customers with correct change.
Job Classification: Hourly/Non-Exempt
Reports to: Front of House Coordinator
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Take orders at counter and ring up customer transactions at register using POS system.
- Cash out customers correctly according to type of payment presented and any discounts that might be applied, (coupons, promotions, etc.) and to provide correct change.
- Serve customer food orders as necessary.
- Answer the phone with the proper greeting and maintain polite and courteous telephone etiquette.
- Taking to-go orders, getting proper information including name and telephone number.
- Check every to-go order for quality and accuracy before giving to the customer.
- Keep counter area clean – floors, refrigerators, drink machine / area.
- Roll silverware in napkins. Keep adequate amount of silverware rolled throughout shift and roll all silverware at end of shift.
- Refer to counter information manual to address any customer questions.
- Keep dining room floor swept, and alert dishwasher if any spills need to be mopped up.
- Keep “to go” containers stocked, both under front counter and under the chai warmers in the kitchen.
- Alert dishwasher if bussing is behind; clear tables or wash dishes only if bus person needs help.
- Help in retail area as needed. Watch retail area, and especially if any suspicious activity is noticed, walk back to retail area and ask customers if they need help. Call manager or another employee to help as needed.
- Make note of any changes in menu or prices that have not been entered into register system. Also any new retail items that are not in the system.
- At the beginning of each shift, check the bathrooms for cleanliness and restocking of paper products and perform the restock and cleaning or ask the dishwasher for help.
- Maintain complete and accurate menu knowledge.
- Close down drawer and follow proper cash handling procedures at end of shift.
- All other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience: High School Diploma or GED. Must have customer service experience.
Training Required: On-site orientation and training will be provided.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Responsible for knowledge of necessary POS system procedures needed to competently perform job.
- Ability to read and write
- Must be able to make and count back change
- Excellent communication skills
- Multi-task oriented
- Knowledge of workplace safety procedures
- Must be able to successfully sell and upsell food and beverage items
- Restaurant environment
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to heat and cold and mild chemical exposure
- Hazards may include, but are not limited to, cuts, slipping, tripping, falls and burns
Essential Physical Effort Requirements:
- 100% -- Walks and stands during entire shift
- 100% -- Continuously reach, bend, lift, carry, stoop and wipe
- Must possess manual dexterity, auditory and visual skills
- Required to lift 10-20 pounds on a regular basis and 25-50 pounds on an occasional basis
- Frequent washing of hands