General Summary: Under general supervision, directs and oversees all activities of the kitchen and ensures compliance with all standardized policies, procedures and recipes. Prepares food items to recipe specifications in accordance with cross-contamination avoidance measures and educates employees on specific ingredients when needed.
Job Classification: Exempt
Reports to: Owner
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Makes periodic and regular inspections of kitchen to observe quality of food preparation and service, food appearance, cleanliness and sanitation of production and service areas, equipment and employee appearance.
- Coordinates all training activities for kitchen, bakery, and other production and service employees to include the identification and analysis of training needs and the design and implementation of programs to address these deficiencies.
- Assists managers in scheduling, recruiting, and employee selection.
- Samples cooked food by smelling and tasting to ensure quality and palatability.
- Coordinates assignments of cooking personnel to ensure economical use of food and timely preparation.
- Develops recipes and portion specifications in accordance with consumer tastes, nutritional needs, product specifications, ease of preparation established procedures and budgetary constraints.
- Participates in other menu planning activities to include the determination of purchasing specifications, product and recipe testing and menu development.
- Assists operation managers as requested in areas such as plate presentation, special function menu planning and the design of new service areas.
- Purchases and plans to ensure that all restaurant locations have the needed product available.
- Keeps necessary records of food/product waste.
- Maintain complete and accurate menu knowledge.
- And all other duties as assigned.
High School Diploma or GED. Must be 18 years of age. Prior kitchen management experience required.
On-site orientation and training will be provided.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Reading and writing skills
- Effective verbal communication skills
- Supervisory skills
- Knowledge of health and sanitation laws
- Ability to analyze and solve problems
- Knowledge of food preparation
- Knowledge of supplies, service and/or maintenance ordering
- Records maintenance skills
- Knowledge of workplace safety procedures
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions and procedures
- Restaurant environment
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to heat and cold and mild chemical exposure
- Hazards may include, but are not limited to, cuts, slipping, tripping, falls and burns
Essential Physical Effort Requirements:
- 80% -- Walks and stands during majority of shift.
- 100% -- Continuously reach, bend, lift, carry, stoop, wipe, kneel, climb, push and pull items
weighing 50 pounds or less
- Must possess manual dexterity, auditory and visual skills.
- 25% travel within Albuquerque and Santa Fe is required.
- Frequent washing of hands