General Summary: Responsible for the final preparation of food to be served in the proper presentation in a timely manner. Complies with all applicable sanitation, health, and personal hygiene standards and following established food production programs and procedures. Food orders are prepared and assembled quickly according to recipes and procedures to avoid waste. Line is always stocked, neat, clean and safe.
Job Classification: Hourly/Non-Exempt
Reports to: Kitchen Manager
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Prepares food for cooking in broilers, ovens, grills, fryers and other kitchen equipment.
- Knows and complies consistently with our standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules, policies and procedures.
- Develops complete knowledge of the menu and item recipes and ensures that food is prepared to recipe specifications and that no cross-contamination occurs.
- Stocks and maintains sufficient levels of food products at line stations to assure a smooth service period.
- Maintains a clean and sanitary work station area including tables, shelves, grills, broilers, fryers, sauté burners, convection oven, flat top range and refrigeration equipment.
- Follows proper plate presentation and garnish set up for all dishes.
- Handles, stores and rotates all products properly.
- Assists in food prep assignments during off-peak periods as needed.
- Closes the kitchen properly and follows the closing checklist for kitchen stations. Assists others in closing the kitchen.
- Attends all scheduled employee meetings and brings suggestions for improvement.
- Operate all kitchen machinery according to operating instructions and in accordance with safety standards.
- Maintain complete and accurate menu knowledge.
- Performs all other duties as assigned by the Kitchen Manager or manager-on-duty.
High School Diploma or GED. Must be 18 years of age. Prior line cook experience required.
On-site orientation and training will be provided.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Reading and writing skills
- Interpersonal relations and communicative skills
- Knowledge of workplace safety procedures
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions and procedures
- Restaurant kitchen environment
- Moderate noise level
- Exposure to heat and cold and mild chemical exposure
- Hazards include, but are not limited to, cuts, slipping, tripping, falls and burns
Essential Physical Effort Requirements:
- 100% -- Walks and stands during majority of shift
- 100% -- Continuously reach, bend, lift, carry, stoop, wipe, kneel, climb, push and pull items weighing 50 pounds or more
- Must possess manual dexterity, auditory and visual skills
- Frequent washing of hands