General Summary: The Prep Cook/Dishwasher position assists with cooking, inventory control and is responsible for maintaining cleanliness and sanitation standards for plates, glassware, eating utensils, cooking utensils, pots and pans, etc., using machine and manual cleaning methods. This position also ensures the dishwashing area is maintained as a clean, safe and sanitary facility.
Job Classification: Hourly/Non-Exempt
Reports to: Kitchen Manager
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Wash and cut vegetables for various dishes.
- Assist in preparation and monitor of food while cooking.
- Prepare dishes under the supervision of the Kitchen Manager.
- Assemble individual servings for restaurant patrons or delivery customers. Deliver to their table or the counter.
- Monitor food inventory for reordering. When any food item is running low, mark on inventory control sheets.
- Prepare and pack all supplies for AI order each morning.
- Follows health and safety guidelines at all times.
- Bus tables in the dining room.
- Sort and rinse dirty dishes, glass, tableware and other cooking utensils and place them in racks to send through dish machine.
- Sort and stack clean dishes. Carries clean dishes to cook's line and other proper storage areas. Rewashes soiled dishes before delivering.
- Change dishwater in dish machine every hour.
- Wash pots, pans and trays by hand.
- Take trash to dumpster.
- Set up or break down dishwashing area.
- Clean and roll/unroll mats.
- Fill/empty soak tubs with cleaning/sanitizing solutions.
- Sweep/mop floors.
- Assemble/disassemble dish machine.
- Sweep up trash around exterior of restaurant and garbage dumpster.
- General restaurant and restroom cleaning as directed.
- Wipe up any spills to ensure kitchen floors remain dry.
- Must notify Manager anytime dish machine wash or rinse cycle falls below safety standard
- Assist with putting away deliveries.
- Maintain complete and accurate menu knowledge.
- All other duties as directed.
High School Diploma or GED. Prior related experience required.
On-site orientation and training will be provided.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Must be able to read labels on chemicals.
- Knowledge of workplace safety procedures
- Reading and writing skills
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions and procedures
- Interpersonal and communication skills
- Restaurant kitchen environment
- Hazards include, but are not limited to, cuts from broken glass and metal cans, burns, slipping and
tripping, falls and burns
- Moderate noise level
- Exposure to heat and cold and mild chemical exposure
Essential Physical Effort Requirements:
- 100% --Walks and stands during entire shift.
- Lift and carry racks or stacks of dishes, glassware and other utensils, weighing up to 30 lbs., up to 50 times per shift.
- Frequent bending, stooping, reaching, pushing and lifting.
- Work indoors 95%; outdoors 5%.
- Work in a hot, damp environment
- Frequent washing of hands